"The Ides of March are come," wrote the Bard. While I will neither be sacrificing a sheep to appease Jupiter, nor stabbing Caesar (except in salad form), I am marking the day in my own giddy, almost-end-of-the-semester way.
For your reading amusement, here are my "I'ds" of March, off the top of my head today:
- I'd like to quote from Julius Caesar, but the last time I saw it, it was set in a post-apocalyptic, somewhat Stalinist-appearing era with an awkward drum track at scene changes, so I giggled at inappropriate moments.
- I'd like to enjoy corned beef and cabbage on Thursday, but since I don't, I'll be celebrating St. Patrick's Day with bangers and mash. Also a chocolate-mint cupcake, if I can find one.
- I'd like to figure out where I'm going once I get my MFA, but all I know for certain at this point is that it will be no more than 2 hours from an ocean. Atlantic is lovely, but Pacific is definitely in the running. Hoping for a sign, or I'll rock-paper-scissors it next summer.
- I'd like to break my March addiction to Thin Mints, but I just ordered a batch (and promise I will try not to eat them directly out of the freezer this year).
- I'd like to go zip-lining even though it terrifies me, maybe next summer, since this year I'm spending a day kayaking with my dad in Maine on the way to my August residency.
- I'd like to try Krav Maga, I think, although that might just be a desire to be as much of a feminine badass as Ziva David on NCIS. It's expensive, so videos and DIY workouts will do the job just fine for now. Badassery and all.
- I'd like to live in a home where the walls are not white, and someday after I pay my way out of grad school loans, maybe I will.
- I'd like to learn Farsi, even though I'll still need an interpreter for interviews. My current vocabulary is not at all useful: "Aunt JoAnn," "mouse," "little by little, day by day," "kiss me," "I love you," "how are you," and a few foods. The reasons I know those fun ones in the middle aren't anywhere near as interesting as you might think, either!
- I'd like to be able to use my office space, and after this weekend, if I make good use of time, I should have everything stowed away so I don't feel claustrophobic up there.
- I'd like to finish my last chapter of the school year by Saturday afternoon at the latest, without any all-nighters or angst. And since, as a friend pointed out last week, when I say finish a chapter, I mean write it, not read it, I'm going to get back to that now.