My friend Stephanie, over at Sailshaker, challenged me to post my summer reading list. I'm taking her up on it because it's been a very bookish summer, thanks to my incredible friends and faculty in the MFA Creative Nonfiction at the University of King's College (Halifax).
Here is the list:
- Storycraft: The Complete Guide to Writing Nonfiction by Jack Hart
- Thinking Like Your Editor by Susan Rabiner and Alfred Fortunato
- How to Write a Book Proposal by Michael Larsen
- Open Heart by Elie Wiesel
- Prisoner of Tehran: A Memoir by Marina Nemat
- A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
- Rosewater: A Family's Story of Love, Captivity and Survival by Maziar Bahari
I should point out that, due to a favorable exchange rate, having a car onsite, and a class scouting trip to Chapters, I came home from my two-week residency with a grocery bag full of books. All but two were solidly related to my own project. Still: grocery bag.
And on that note ... there's a book calling me.